Tomato chicken with brown rice is a delightful blend of spices and tangy tomatoes. It is essentially chicken pieces coated with many fragrant spices like turmeric, cardamom and cloves, then simmered in a tomato sauce.
A perfect family meal, and wonderful to serve to guests too, this complete dinner meal will also complete the day’s health quotient for any family interested in fitness.
Original recipe yield: 6 servings
- Prep time – 15 mins
- Cooking time – 2 hours
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 slice fresh ginger root
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 (1 inch) piece cinnamon stick, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 skinless chicken thighs
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
- Place onion, garlic and ginger in a food processor and process into a paste. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add onion paste and saute, stirring continuously, for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin, turmeric, salt, pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves and nutmeg. Saute, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes. Place chicken pieces in skillet and stir them around with the spice mixture until they are well coated.
- Saute for another 4 minutes, then pour in the tomatoes with liquid and stir. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 to 2 hours, or until the oil has separated from the liquid. Stir occasionally. (Note: If you simmer uncovered, the sauce will thicken; add water, or keep covered while simmering.)